|Industry||Symbolic Computation, Software, Technical Computing|
|Founded||20 April 1988 (Waterloo Maple Software)|
3 March 2003 (Maplesoft)
|Founder||Keith Geddes and Gaston Gonnet|
|Parent||Cybernet Systems Group|
Waterloo Maple Inc. is a Canadian software company, headquartered in Waterloo, Ontario. It operates under the trade name Maplesoft. It is best known as the manufacturer of the Maple computer algebra system, MapleSim physical modeling and simulation software, and Maple T.A., an online testing and assessment tool.
Waterloo Maple Inc. was first incorporated under the name Waterloo Maple Software in April 1988 by Keith Geddes and Gaston Gonnet, who were both then professors in the Symbolic Computation Group, a part of the computer science department (now the David R. Cheriton School of Computer Science) at the University of Waterloo.
Tim Bray served as the part-time CEO of Waterloo Maple Inc. from 1989-1990. During this period he claims in his resume that he helped save the company from one close encounter with bankruptcy by "instituting financial discipline".
Gonnet left the company in 1994 after a failed attempt to purchase a controlling stake despite already owning 30% of the shares, and following protracted disagreements over the management of the company sold his remaining share in 2001.
In 2003-03-03, Waterloo Maple Inc. announced the immediate introduction of the name Maplesoft as its primary business name.
In 2008-07-16, Maplesoft announced Cybernet Systems Taiwan was appointed as a Maplesoft Reseller for the Commercial and Government markets.
In 2009-07-30, Maplesoft announced it has signed a definitive agreement to be acquired by Cybernet Systems Co., Ltd. In 2009-07-31, Cybernet Systems Co., Ltd. announced its acquisitions of all outstanding shares of Waterloo Maple Inc., with transaction to be executed via Cybernet Holdings CANADA, Inc, with consolidation to be completed by 2009-09-01. As a result of this acquisition, 10% of the workforce at the time (Around a dozen workers) lost their jobs.
In 2012-06-26, Maplesoft announced its entry to Modelica-based professional consulting services, which included model development and simulation services, analysis and tool development, real-time plant-model code generation, and training.
- Maplesoft France: Division based in Versailles, France. In 2015-01-20, Maplesoft announced the opening of its office in Paris, France.
- Maplesoft GmbH/Maplesoft Europe GmbH: Division based in Aachen, Germany. In 2010-03-31, Maplesoft announced the opening of its first office in Germany, replacing Scientific Computers as reseller in Germany and Austria. In 2011-02-15, the office was registered as Maplesoft Europe GmbH.
- Cybernet Systems Korea (가이아넷코리아주식회사)/Maplesoft Korea: A Maplesoft distributor in Korea. In 2012-07-15, Maplesoft announced the opening of Cybernet Systems Korea and Cybernet Systems Korea as the exclusive distributor Maplesoft products in Korea.
- Maplesoft Europe Limited: Division based in Cambridge, UK. In 2013-11-18, Maplesoft announced the opening of a new office in Cambridge, UK, which would act as the headquarters for Maplesoft's European operations, including offices in France and Germany. In 2016-01-14, Maplesoft announced a reseller agreement with EnginSoft, where EnginSoft would represent Maplesoft in the commercial markets in Germany, France, Italy, UK, Nordic, Spain, and Turkey.
Information above taken from the official Maplesoft website.
- Resume of Tim Bray
- Interview with Gaston Gonnet, co-creator of Maple, SIAM History of Numerical Analysis and Computing, March 16, 2005
- Waterloo Maple Inc. Celebrates 10th Anniversary
- Waterloo Maple Inc. introduces Maplesoft as primary business name
- Maplesoft announces relocation to Waterloo Tech Campus
- Maplesoft moves to Waterloo Tech Campus
- NOTE TO EDITORS: Maplesoft Expands Distribution in Taiwan
- Cybernet Systems Co., Ltd. to acquire Maplesoft in early September 2009
- Cybernet Systems made Waterloo Maples Inc. its subsidiary and acquires shares
- カナダWaterloo Maple Inc.の株式取得と子会社化に関するお知らせ
- Edwards, Mike (August 7, 2009). "Cybernet Systems Co., Ltd. to acquire Maplesoft in early September 2009". Design Product News. Archived from the original on March 7, 2012. Retrieved 2011-02-07.CS1 maint: unfit url (link)
- Cybernet Group
- Maplesoft Adds Consulting Services to its Portfolio
- Maplesoft Brings Direct Presence to France
- MAPLESOFT APPORTE UNE PRESENCE DIRECTE EN FRANCE
- Maplesoft Opens Office in Germany
- Maplesoft eröffnet Niederlassung in Deutschland
- MAPLESOFT EUROPE GMBH (ALLEMAGNE) Chiffre d'affaires, résultat, bilans sur SOCIETE.COM - 529810657
- Cybernet Systems Opens in Korea to Exclusively Market Maplesoft Products
- Maplesoft Expands European Operations with New Regional Headquarters
- Maplesoft Strengthens Operations in Europe with New Partner for Engineering Business
- "Mathematical and Engineering Software Products for Commercial and Academic Applications - Maplesoft".
- Maplesoft Corporate Website
- Cybernet Systems Korea/Maplesoft Korea website
- Symbolic Computation Group website