El Campo, Texas
El Campo, Texas
Old business district along Monseratte Street
Location of El Campo, Texas
|• Total||9.78 sq mi (25.33 km2)|
|• Land||9.76 sq mi (25.29 km2)|
|• Water||0.02 sq mi (0.04 km2)|
|Elevation||105 ft (32 m)|
| • Estimate |
|• Density||1,181.91/sq mi (456.35/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-6 (Central (CST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-5 (CDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||1356861|
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 7.5 square miles (19.3 km2), all of it land.
|U.S. Decennial Census|
- Males: 48%
- Females: 52%
- Median resident age: 34.1 years
- Texas median age: 32.3 years
The population density was 1,400 people per square mile. There were 4,491 housing units at an average density of 577.5 per square mile (222.9/km2). The racial makeup of the city was 76.1% White, 10.9% African American, 0.33% Native American, 0.5% Asian, 0.01% Pacific Islander, 16.66% from other races, and 1.77% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 47.0% of the population.
Of the 3,916 households 37.3% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 53.1% were married couples living together, 13.5% had a female householder with no husband present, and 28.5% were non-families. 25.8% of households were one person and 14.4% were one person aged 65 or older. The average household size was 2.91 and the average family size was 3.31.
The age distribution was 29.3% under the age of 18, 9.5% from 18 to 24, 26.2% from 25 to 44, 19.4% from 45 to 64, and 14.2% 65 or older. The median age was 34 years. For every 100 females, there were 92.0 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 86.8 males.
The median household income was $40,698. Males had a median income of $27,416 versus $18,872 for females. The per capita income for the city was $14,464. About 16.5% of families and 23.6% of the population were below the poverty line.
Education in the city of El Campo is provided by the El Campo Independent School District and a number of private schools.
- Dallas-based radio minister Charles Swindoll was born in El Campo (as mentioned on his broadcast of 16 May 2012).
- Medal of Honor recipient Raul (Roy) Benavidez was raised in El Campo from the age of 7.
- Author of the Legendary Texians and Historic Towns of Texas book series Joe Tom Davis lives in El Campo.
- NFL Player Joey Hunt of the Seattle Seahawks
- MLS Player Memo Rodriguez of the Houston Dynamo was born in Wharton and raised in El Campo.
Astronaut Gene Cernan lived in El Campo.
The climate in this area is characterized by hot, humid summers and generally mild to cool winters. According to the Köppen climate classification system, El Campo has a humid subtropical climate, Cfa on climate maps.
- "2019 U.S. Gazetteer Files". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved August 7, 2020.
- "Population and Housing Unit Estimates". United States Census Bureau. May 24, 2020. Retrieved May 27, 2020.
- "U.S. Census website". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "Bus Routes and Schedules". Colorado Valley Transit. Retrieved 2019-06-08.
- "El Campo". El Campo. Retrieved 2019-06-08.
- "Memo Rodriguez". Houston Dynamo. Retrieved April 13, 2019.
- Climate Summary for El Campo, Texas
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to El Campo, Texas.|